[cifs-protocol] [MS-DTYP] Conditional ACE Unicode literal SDDL format

Douglas Bagnall douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Feb 24 02:10:17 UTC 2023

hi Dochelp,

I am interested in the details of the format for conditional ACE SDDL format,
which is not really described in [MS-DTYP] (unlike the wire format).

 From the examples, it is clear that it involves double-quote delimiters:

    (Title=="VP")

But how are escapes handled -- how would it handle a string that itself
contained a double quote?

In the ABNF there is a thing called "char-string":

    char-string = DQUOTE *(CHAR) DQUOTE

which we can deduce applies to Unicode strings due to the definition of
value-array, but this doesn't answer the question. Rather, it expands it, since
RFC5234 says CHAR is 7-bit ASCII only, precluding most Unicode values, so there
must be an escaping mechanism for these characters too (unless the use of CHAR
is mistaken).

My guess is that Unicode strings the same %hhhh sequence as attr-char2 (encoding
the double quote as %0022), but there is no mention of that.

cheers,
Douglas