[cifs-protocol] Is MS-XCA LZ-77 plain compression the same as MS-DRSR DRS_COMP_ALG_WIN2K3 compression?

Douglas Bagnall douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Nov 28 03:30:14 UTC 2022

hi Dochelp,

Hopefully this will be simple to answer.

The algorithm in MS-XCA 2.3 and 2.4 "Plain LZ77" looks quite a lot like the one
in MS-DRSR 4.1.10.5.21 "CompressOrDecompressWin2k3" or "LZ77 + DIRECT2",
although they are described using entirely different words.

(MS-WUSP and MS-OXCRPC also have something similar).

If this is *not* easy to answer, I am happy to accept a "maybe". At this stage I
am just curious.

cheers,
Douglas