[cifs-protocol] SMB2_CREATE error code IO_REPARSE_TAG_NOT_HANDLED? - TrackingID#2211180040005873

Volker Lendecke Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de
Wed Nov 23 12:46:23 UTC 2022

Hi Jeff,

Am Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 07:50:29PM +0000 schrieb Jeff McCashland (He/him):
> Have you seen this error over the wire 'in the wild'?
> IO_REPARSE_TAG_LX_CHR is documented in [MS-FSCC] as 'not meaningful
> over the wire', so artificially creating a 'bogus' reparse point in
> this manner might be considered a violation of protocol. We don't
> generally document the results of protocol violations.

here is an example of this "in the wild". I installed the NFS server
on Windows 2016, and with frame 53 I did a "ln -s x y" over a NFS
mount from Linux. Then in frame 83 I tried to read the attributes of
"y" and got the REPARSE_TAG_NOT_HANDLED error message.

I don't think any of this is a protocol violation, so I think this
needs to be documented.

Thanks,

Volker