[cifs-protocol] [REG: 111060784988397] RE: joining domain with IPv6 client

Hongwei Sun hongweis at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 8 19:34:56 MDT 2011

Tridge,

  I  can see the error condition from the trace so this is the correct trace.   After some quick debugging,  I found that the error is returned from the DNS lookup for the host name "BLU".   Windows will automatically detected if IPv4 or IPv6 stacks are installed and then do the IPv4 or IPv6 lookup accordingly.  In this case , both stacks are installed so both A and AAA records are looked up.    When looking up for IPv4, the error returned is 11001(WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND),   this is understandable since only Ipv6 address is registered for the host as you indicated.  When looking up for IPv6, the error returned is 11004 (WSANO_DATA),  this may be the problem.   The following is the description for this error:

" WSANO_DATA
Valid name, no data record of requested type.
The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for. The usual example for this is a host name-to-address translation attempt (using gethostbyname or WSAAsyncGetHostByName) which uses the DNS (Domain Name Server). An MX record is returned but no A record-indicating the host itself exists, but is not directly reachable."

  Is there a problem with the IPv6 record in DNS ?

Thanks!

Hongwei