[cifs-protocol] Servers Hangs with Microsoft Office

Alain DEVILLE a.deville at ecacnai.fr
Mon Jan 24 07:08:19 MST 2011

Hello,
I have an ubuntu box (10.04 LTS) with samba 3.4.7 and a particular configuration :

I have a filer A witch export a share in CIFS, this share is also export on another filer B (it is a proprietary replication, I can't modify any options) and this B filer can't export this "replication" of the A Volume in CIFS, only in NFS (The volume on the filer B was a kind of cache of the volume on the filer A) , so I mount this cache volume on my Samba (I lose the acl on the files but it's ok because the A volume is read only on the filer B).

When a user open an office file (With Read/Write) on the filer A, if another user try to open it on the Samba, the office (2003/2007/2010 on windows XP SP2/SP3 Vista and Seven) hangs and the samba hang too on this share so nobody can access to it  until the file on the filer was closed.
I suspect the oplock option but I can't find the good option with the good argument.

Here my smb.conf

[global]
        unix charset = ISO8859-15
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        realm = MYDOMAIN.FR
        server string = SAMBA
        security = ADS
        password server = MyActiveDirectoryServer.mydomain.fr
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        min protocol = NT1
        getwd cache = No
        paranoid server security = No
        name cache timeout = 0
        printcap name = cups
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u
        idmap uid = 20000-30000
        idmap gid = 20000-30000
        template homedir = /home/winnt/%D/%U
        winbind separator = +
        winbind enum users = Yes
        winbind enum groups = Yes
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        block size = 4096

[Qualite]
#       oplocks = no
#       level2 oplocks = no
         path = /Data_Communes_Tls/Qualite
#       fake oplocks = yes
         locking = no
#      veto oplock files = /*.doc/*.DOC/*.docx/*.DOCX/*.xls/*.XLS/*.xlsx/*.XLSX/
        guest ok = Yes

The commented lines (#) are the try I made with no success.

This is only when I open the original file on Read/Write , the read only right on the file didn't cause any trouble...

Please Help, this problem make me crazy...
Best regards