[cifs-protocol] [REG:110122270441425] MS-DNSP; RANK in 2.2.2.2.5 DNS_RPC_RECORD dwFlags & 2.3.1.2 dnsRecord; how the rank affects processing

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Tue Jan 11 16:49:57 MST 2011

Hi Bryan,

 > The feedback I'm getting from the PG is " The ranks do affect
 > processing of the DNS protocol, but these effects are
 > implementation specific. The MS-DNSP protocol is not affected."

The MS-DNSP RPC protocol isn't what really interests us at this stage,
although it may in the future. We only reference MS-DNSP as that is
the only document in WSPP/MCPP that covers these records currently.

We have a DNS server in Samba that replicates with Microsoft DNS
servers via DRS. So we need to know how all of the fields in the AD
LDAP records that hold DNS affect DNS processing.

I think what we really have is a missing document that specifies
Microsoft server behaviour with regards to the following:

 - behaviour of the Microsoft DNS server beyond what is in the DNS
   RFCs. The behaviour affected by the RANK would be part of this, as
   these are not mentioned in the RFCs as far as I can see.

 - any special behaviour over ldap for for replication for the DNS
   partitions

 - how a DNS server gets established. By this I mean that if I use
   dcpromo to add a Windows DC to a domain, and I tick the checkbox to
   say it should be a DNS server, what information does the existing
   DC need to provide to allow this new server to be created as a DNS
   server? Presumably there is some mininal set of records we need to
   setup in Samba for this to work.

 - the format of all of the LDAP records in the DNS partitions, and
   the meaning of the fields

There are probably other missing pieces, and I don't think they would
really fit well in the MS-DNSP document.

Cheers, Tridge