[cifs-protocol] STATUS_OS2_INVALID_LEVEL

Bill Wesse billwe at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 14 06:44:42 MST 2010

Thanks for the heads up Christopher - you are totally correct in saying my comments on the complexity of NT platform SMB error returns were meant to be 'polite understatements' (especially that pesky flipped response SMB_FLAGS2_NT_STATUS bit, not to mention the 'occasionally optional' WordCount and ByteCount absence from transact2 responses).

I will shortly forward your email to concerned internal parties...

I have no doubt a complete rundown of all the exceptions to the rule would be quite valuable to our respective organizations and customers - figuring what to do in response to a 'surprise' error value classifies as yet another 'polite understatement'.

I won't rule out the possibility of (my team) providing supplemental content concerning this, in case the documents aren't the optimal place for the info - I hate to state the obvious, but a complete WB description of the above for all NT/SMB (or just transact2) would be pretty big.

There I go again. Another understatement.

Regards,
Bill Wesse
MCSE, MCTS / Senior Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
8055 Microsoft Way
Charlotte, NC 28273
Email:	billwe at microsoft.com
Tel: 	+1(980) 776-8200