[cifs-protocol] How do we know what attributes are OIDs, classes and attributes

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 6 23:30:37 MST 2010

G'day

In LDAP, it is convention to display attribute names and classes as
strings, except of course for governsID and attributeID.

In DRS, these attribute and class names are transformed (using the
prefix map) into 32 bit integers.

What we need to know is, how should we tell if an attribute should be
displayed in LDAP as an OID (dotted decimal), or as an attribute or
class name.

My worry is that this can't be handled as just 'schema only' and
'hardcoded list', because it is clearly possible to add OID syntax
(2.5.5.2)  attributes to objects in the general directory.  For example:

dn: CN=IP,CN=Inter-Site
Transports,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=my,DC=domain
transportAddressAttribute: dNSHostName

How should I know that transportAddressAttribute must be displayed as a
text string, and not an OID?  How should I know that I display governsID
as an OID?

Are all attributes of syntax OID (2.5.5.2) transported over DRS as
integers, or is there a hardcoded list?

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.