[cifs-protocol] RID Allocation behaviour

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 5 17:04:49 MST 2010

G'day

Tridge and I are working on Samba4's implementation of the distributed
RID allocation.

We are unclear on a number of aspects of the expected behaviour,
particularly when the RID manager is not the DC adding users.

I'll describe this in terms of the 'RID manager DC' and the 'remote DC'

For example:

It appears that the Remote DC is responsible for updating the ridNextRID
attribute, but rather than storing the next RID, it appears to store the
last allocated RID.  The actual remote DC allocation process for RIDs
appears undocumented.

It appears the RID Manager DC is responsible for updating the
rIDAllocationPool for each DC, and the rIDAvailablePool.  We think the
remote DC is responsible for ridPreviousAllocationPool and allocates
RIDs from that pool, but this is only described in the schema doc.

Any light you can shed on this process would be most appreciated.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.