[cifs-protocol] [REG:110081057234684] Requesting clarification of MS-DNSP data structure DNS_RPC_NAME

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Fri Aug 27 15:44:00 MDT 2010

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 23:29:30 +0000
Bryan Burgin <bburgin at microsoft.com> wrote:

Hi Bryan,

> When I look at components that handle DNSP packets, I see asserts in the checked builds that verify that DNS_RPC_NAME structures are DWORD aligned, so I'm inclined to believe that the documentation is correct.  However, I have been trying to verify this myself.  I used DNSMGR.DLL (the Admin snap-in via Start->Administrative Tools->DNS "DNS Manager") and captured MS-DNSP traffic.
>
> However, that doesn't match your repro scenario at all.
>
> You cited "MS-DNSP describes a DNS_RPC_NAME data structure in section 2.2.2.2.1.  [...]  Quering a Win2k8R2 server for DNS records via LDAP, it looks like the DNS_RPC_NAME structure is 2-byte-aligned [...]"  When I do LDAP queries (via LDAPDE or "Active Directory Users and Computers"), I'm not seeing any MS_DNSP traffic.
>
> So, can you help me repro the alignment issue you're seeing re MS-DNSP DNS_RPC_NAME 2.2.2.2.1 (with an emphasis on DNS_RPC_RECORD_SRV records).  Or, is this issue involving something other than MS-DNSP?

I'm not producing MS-DNSP traffic. I'm trying to decode the LDAP
datastructures related to the DNS service. These seem to be encoded
following the MS-DNSP document, so I used that for my implementation.

I see I made a typo in my last email, I'm seeing the parse error on the
SOA record, not the SRV record. The attached record blob was extracted
from a win2k8r2 server, and the second DNS_RPC_NAME only decodes
correctly if I make sure the first DNS_RPC_NAME is 2-byte-aligned.

I've also attached an LDIF file, on record 7, the 6th DNS_RECORD is the
record in question.

All in all my question is more about the LDAP storage of
MS-DNSP-related data, rather than the protocol itself. If there's a
better description of the DNS data stored in LDAP than MS-DNSP, what
document would that be?

Cheers,
Kai

--