[cifs-protocol] [REG:110081057234684] Requesting clarification of MS-DNSP data structure DNS_RPC_NAME

Bryan Burgin bburgin at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 26 17:29:30 MDT 2010

Kai,

I have been researching this for you.

When I look at components that handle DNSP packets, I see asserts in the checked builds that verify that DNS_RPC_NAME structures are DWORD aligned, so I'm inclined to believe that the documentation is correct.  However, I have been trying to verify this myself.  I used DNSMGR.DLL (the Admin snap-in via Start->Administrative Tools->DNS "DNS Manager") and captured MS-DNSP traffic.

However, that doesn't match your repro scenario at all.

You cited "MS-DNSP describes a DNS_RPC_NAME data structure in section 2.2.2.2.1.  [...]  Quering a Win2k8R2 server for DNS records via LDAP, it looks like the DNS_RPC_NAME structure is 2-byte-aligned [...]"  When I do LDAP queries (via LDAPDE or "Active Directory Users and Computers"), I'm not seeing any MS_DNSP traffic.

So, can you help me repro the alignment issue you're seeing re MS-DNSP DNS_RPC_NAME 2.2.2.2.1 (with an emphasis on DNS_RPC_RECORD_SRV records).  Or, is this issue involving something other than MS-DNSP?

Bryan