[cifs-protocol] SMBTorture tests

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Apr 16 01:22:24 GMT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 05:30:54PM -0700, Long Li wrote:

> Can you tell us how you use SMBTorture BASE, RAW and SMB2 test suites in the
> Samba project? Is there any documentation that we should use to properly setup
> the Samba server in the test?

Well we mainly use it to determine where we're different from a Windows
server, and what we need to keep working on. smbtorture is a protocol
tester, not a particular implementation tester.

To see how we use it internally, check out the source3/script/tests/
directory for how we use it to check for regressions in the Samba
server. There are some extra VFS modules we use there that allow
us to pass more of the tests (remember the basic configuration
on POSIX won't store NTFS streams, NTFS ACLs or other Windows
specific metadata).

Jeremy.