[cifs-protocol] SMBTorture tests

Long Li longli at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 16 00:30:54 GMT 2009

Hello Samba Team,

I'm a member of the SMB test team at Microsoft. We use Samba tools to test Windows 7 SMB/SMB2 implementations. Our goal is to use SMBTorture test tools as a common testing ground for both Windows and Samba and make SMBTorture pass 100% against each product. This can help us achieve better inter-operability between Samba and future Windows releases.

Currently we are testing Windows 7 SMB/SMB2 server with Samba SMBTorture as test clients. Specifically we are running RAW, BASE and SMB2 tests in SMBTorture. We have found some documentation and code bugs in Windows 7 during the tests. We want to thank you for the wonderful test tools.

At the same time, we found some tests in SMBTorture also failed with a Samba 3.3 server. Those tests include: RAW-SEARCH, RAW-OPLOCK, RAW-UNLINK, RAW-READ, RAW-WRITE, RAW-RENAME, RAW-QFSINFO, RAW-QFILEINFO, RAW-QFILEINFO-IPC, RAW-SFILEINFO, RAW-CLOSE, RAW-OPEN, RAW-MKDIR, RAW-NOTIFY, RAW-IOCTL, RAW-CHKPATH, RAW-CONTEXT, RAW-EAS, RAW-STREAMS, RAW-ACLS, RAW-SAMBA3HIDE, RAW-SAMBA3CLOSEERR, RAW-SAMBA3OPLOCKLOGOFF, RAW-SAMBA3BADPATH, BASE-DELETE, BASE-CHARSET, BASE-ALIASES, BASE-TCONDEV, BASE-IOMETER, BASE-CASETABLE.

In conclusion, Samba server failed about 75% of RAW tests and 16% of BASE tests.

Here is a failure test case example of running BASE-DELETE with a Samba 3.3.1 server:

root at long-q6600:~/samba4/source4/bin# ./smbtorture -X //10.197.63.249/testshare BASE-DELETE -U samba%samba
Using seed 1239841430
Running DELETE
TEST deltest20 FAILED! - torture/basic/delete.c:1181: Expression `fnum1 == -1' failed: smbcli_open succeeded, should have failed with NT_STATUS_DELETE_PENDING
DELETE took 2.35483 secs

We used the default configuration for the Samba server.

Can you tell us how you use SMBTorture BASE, RAW and SMB2 test suites in the Samba project? Is there any documentation that we should use to properly setup the Samba server in the test?

Thank you for your help.

Long