[cifs-protocol] RE: [Pfif] How are 'supported enc types' determined in trusts? - 600253

Richard Guthrie rguthrie at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 24 20:54:15 GMT 2008

Andrew/Stefan,

I have completed my research with regard to your question regarding what value LSA would return in the case that the domain functional level is set to 2003.  The value returned is dependent on the OS version of the domain controller responding to the query:

If the domain controller is a windows 2003 domain controller, the method will return STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER

If the domain controller is a windows 2008 domain controller, the method will return whatever value is set on that attribute.  Before a 2008 server is added as a domain controller to a 2003 domain, the schema is required to be updated and adprep /domainprep has been run from a 2008 installation CD.  Because of this, the attribute will be present on the TDO but will have a value of zero.  This should not be any value other than zero until both sides of the trust are moved to a domain functional level of 2008 where all Domain Controllers were 2008 as well.  The administrator can then enable AES through Active Directory Domains and Trust.  If all encryption types are enabled, the value will be 31.

NOTE: This should not be confused with computer accounts as even with a functional level of 2003, computer accounts will updated their msds-supportedEncryptionTypes attribute to 31 when they are rebooted as part of establishing their secure channel with the domain controller.

Richard Guthrie
Open Protocols Support Team
Support Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
Tel: +1 (469) 775-7794
E-mail: rguthrie at microsoft.com
We're hiring http://members.microsoft.com/careers/search/details.aspx?JobID=A976CE32-B0B9-41E3-AF57-05A82B88383E&start=1&interval=10&SortCol=DatePosted