[cifs-protocol] RE: Microsoft Client tool expectatations

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 24 03:56:33 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 14:33 -0700, Hongwei Sun wrote:
> Andrew,
>
>   The product team is analyzing the network trace for trusted domain
> join problem.   We have several questions regarding the test.
>
> (1) What was the exact error message and when did it show ?   Did you
> see  message (" Unable to read the functional level of the specified
> forest." & "The directory datatype cannot be converted to/from a
> native DS datatype") displayed from "Active Directory Trust and
> Domain" ?

We got both - the first we we don't set magic values in the rootdse to
pretend we are windows 2008, the second when we fake that much up.

> (2) Which frame(s) in the trace are related to the error ?   at the
> end ?

Presumably.

>    We can see error STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND returned
> LsarQueryTrustedDomainInfoByName() in frame 111 & 113,Is that a
> downstream effect of not reading the right data from AD?

No, the trusted domain has not yet been found, so this is correct.  Your
tool is checking to see if it exists, before trying to create it.

> (3) What is your Windows Server 2008 domain name ?  Is it AD2008 ?
> Do you actually have a Netbios name different then the DNS name?
>    Is 2008.naomi.abartlet.net the name of Samba4 domain ?

They are the names of the 2008 domain.  s4.naomi.abartlet.net is the
Samba4 domain.