[cifs-protocol] format of password attributes in AD

Hongwei Sun hongweis at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 12 20:40:51 GMT 2008

Metze/Andrew,

  We  completed the investigation for two issues listed in the e-mail below.

  For the first issue,  we finally determined where the extra bytes come from.  There are two issues contributing to the extra bytes.

   (1) The cause of these bytes is an "off by one" calculation error when allocating the buffer for the credentials structure.  The KERB_STORED_CREDENTIAL  and  KERB_STORED_CREDENTIAL_NEW  structures contain space for  KERB_KEY_DATA and KERB_KEY_DATA_NEW structures respectively which are not accounted for correctly in the Windows implementation.  The calculation for the count of these structures should have been based on CredentialCount - 1.  This adjustment is not performed in the code and therefore exactly sizeof(KERB_KEY_DATA) and sizeof(KERB_KEY_DATA) extra bytes of 0 are present after the last real key data.   The benign presence of these bytes with value of 0 are not referenced by any offset and the salt value following them is referenced correctly,  therefore it should not affect interoperability.

   (2) The storage of a dummy key that is included in the supplemental credentials when the current domain functional level is DS_BEHAVIOR_WIN2003 or less.  For this issue we will make the following change to 2.2.10.8 [MS-SAMR].

        "2.2.10.8 Kerberos Encryption Algorithm Identifiers

        The following table identifies the various algorithms that can be used in the KERB_KEY_DATA and KERB_KEY_DATA_NEW structures.<24>

      <Windows Behavior>

        <24> Section 2.2.10.8: When the current domain functional level is DS_BEHAVIOR_WIN2003 or less, a Windows Server 2008 DC includes a key entry of        type -140 in each of KERB_STORED_CREDENTIAL and KERB_STORED_CREDENTIAL_NEW, which is not needed and can be ignored; it is a dummy type in the   supplemental credentials that is not present when the domain functional level is raised to DS_BEHAVIOR_WIN2008 or greater. The key data is the NT       hash of the password."

  For the second issue with regard to the extra byte at the end we need additional information on how to reproduce the problem , as Richard indicated in his mail below.

Thanks

Hongwei  Sun - Sr. Support Escalation Engineer
DSC Protocol  Team, Microsoft
hongweis at microsoft.com
Tel:  469-7757027 x 57027

Stefan/Andrew,

I wanted to give you an update on this issue.  I was able to parse the NDR dump you gave us and have identified the two issues you point out.  Here is info on our findings to date.

Both Primary:Kerberos-Newer-Keys - KERB_STORED_CREDENTIAL_NEW and Primary:Kerberos - KERB_STORED_CREDENTIAL show extra bytes between the last credential structure and the salt value.  However, the offset for DefaultSaltOffset is correct so you should be able to correctly parse the structure.  We are working to determine exactly where the bytes are coming from.  I hope to have that information shortly.

I also see the extra byte (value 0x66) at the end of the NDR dump however, we are unable to reproduce that behavior currently.  Can you provide a detailed set of steps that can be used to reproduce this behavior?  Also, is it possible there is an issue in your parsing at a lower level?  I am not saying there is I just want to try and attack the issue from multiple angles.  I am also working on the reserved fields and hope to send an update shortly as well.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Richard Guthrie
Open Protocols Support Team
Support Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
Tel: +1 (469) 775-7794
E-mail: rguthrie at microsoft.com
We're hiring http://members.microsoft.com/careers/search/details.aspx?JobID=A976CE32-B0B9-41E3-AF57-05A82B88383E&start=1&interval=10&SortCol=DatePosted