[cifs-protocol] Session keys are not always 16 bytes long

Hongwei Sun hongweis at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 5 16:35:37 GMT 2008

Metze/Andrew,

  The subkey in the EncAPRepPart of the AP-REP should be used as the session key when the mutual authentication is enabled(as described in RFC 4121).    When DES and RC4 are used in Kerberos, the implementation is based on RFC1964 (instead of RFC4121).  According to RFC1964, you can pick the subkey in AP_REQ as the session key as it is the same as the subkey in AP_REP, but this is not true when AES is used because both subkeys are different (again AES means RFC4121 being used, not RFC1964).       This explains what you observed.   We will add the information to [MS-KILE] to describe how the session key is selected.

   The session key returned from  Kerberos package can be used for SMB signing as described in the section 4.3 of  [MS-SMB].  You have to truncate the keys to 128 bits in your code  because SMB does the truncation on the windows side.

   I ran the similar testing as you did.  I had one Vista machine connected to Windows 2008 DC/KDC and configured AES256-CTS-HMAC-SHA1-96 as Kerberos encryption type with mutual authentication enabled.  I cannot duplicate your SMB signing problem(see the network capture attached). It is working between Windows servers and clients.

Thanks

Hongwei  Sun - Sr. Support Escalation Engineer
DSC Protocol  Team, Microsoft
hongweis at microsoft.com
Tel:  469-7757027 x 57027