[cifs-protocol] Clarify AEAD behaviour for GSSAPI with AES

Hongwei Sun hongweis at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 31 21:36:28 GMT 2008

Andrew,

   The  encryption function in Kerberos is described in details in 5.3 [RFC3961] (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3961.txt), which is referenced by [MS-KILE].

    I can summarize  as follows

*         "conf" is actually a random confounder prefix  of length c ,such as 16.

*         "pad" is for shortest padding to bring confounder and plaintext to a length that is the multiple of message block size m, which is octet(8) for AES encryption, as specified in  section 6 [RFC 3962] (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3962.txt)

*          Ke is an encryption key and Ki is a checksum key.

*         Plain text is the input confidential data before encryption.

*         The GSSWrapEX()  is exactly the same as the GSSWrap except that it supports ordered list of input buffers.  Input buffers for which conf_req_flag == TRUE are encrypted and returned. Buffers which sign == TRUE are included in the signature.

*         We use the Kerberos standard's encryption and signatures.    It is very important to  concatenate  the correct buffers to make it  work.

   Please let me know if further clarification is needed and I will be happy to assist you.

Thanks

Hongwei  Sun - Support Escalation Engineer
DSC Protocol  Team, Microsoft
hongweis at microsoft.com
Tel:  469-7757027 x 57027