[cifs-protocol] RE: Mapping of MS-LSAD onto LDAP and DRS replications

Richard Guthrie rguthrie at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 25 13:21:30 GMT 2008

Andrew,

I wanted to follow up on our conversation regarding LSA and your discussion on its backing data store.  I will also discuss security_descriptors and privileges to complete the discussion.  To start, all actions to the local LSA datastore are done via the defined LSA interface in LSAD.  There are two scenarios that I will walk you through here.  The first would be querying/updating a local privledge.  An example of this would be granting an account/group that is a local/domain account the privledge ‘Log on locally’.   This is done via the local LSA interface.  There is also some special cases where LSA receives updates to global domain wide policy settings such as for example Kerberos configuration settings like MaxTicketAge or MaxClockSkew.  These are commonly referred to as Domain LSA policies.  These settings maintained in a group policy object that is described in the following kb article kb 324800 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324800).

LSA reads these values once they are picked up by Winlogon and applies then via the process described in LSAD section 1.3.  As you can see the only mechanism for updating values in the LSA datastore is via the interface described in MS-LSAD.  It is for this reason from an interoperability perspective that we define the datastore with an abstract interface leaving the decision on implementation to the implementor.  Some additional references for how these Kerberos settings work with regard to group policy can be found in MS-GPOL and MS-GPSB.

With regard to security descriptors, you can find documentation on this in MS-DRSR and also MS-DTYP.  MS-DRSR defines the security descriptor in section 5.15.2.6 String(NT-Sec-Desc) and 5.15.3.16 String(NT-Sec-Desc).  You can cross reference the example in 5.15.3.16 with MS-DTYP in section 2.4.6 SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR which provides the typedef for this type.  These values are replicated with DRS.

Please review and let us know if this answers your question?

Richard Guthrie
Open Protocols Support Team
Support Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM 7100 N Hwy 161, Irving, TX - 75039 "Las Colinas - LC2"
Tel: +1 469 775 7794
E-mail: rguthrie at microsoft.com
We're hiring http://members.microsoft.com/careers/search/details.aspx?JobID=A976CE32-B0B9-41E3-AF57-05A82B88383E&start=1&interval=10&SortCol=DatePosted