[cifs-protocol] 600606 RE: How are disabled accounts handled in SNTP

Richard Guthrie rguthrie at microsoft.com
Wed Jul 2 14:30:50 GMT 2008

Andrew,

I have completed my research with respect to NetrServerAuthenticate3.  Your original question was around whether there any other methods other than NetrServerAuthenticate3 that return the RID of the authenticated account in a thread on MS-SNTP.  With respect to MS-SNTP and the Windows Time Service , it starts account authentication with a call to NetrLogonGetTrustRid.  The documentation discusses the Netlogon method NetrLogonGetTrustRid (http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/5/E/95EF66AF-9026-4BB0-A41D-A4F81802D92C/%5BMS-SNTP%5D.pdf) in section 1.5.2 of the current doc set.

This method under the covers makes a call to NetrServerAuthenticate3 in the case where the time service is located on a member server.  Details of NetrServerAuthenticate3 can be found here (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc208186.aspx).  The RID is retrieved as a return value from establishment of a session key used for the secure channel.

If however the time service is located on a DC that is in the domain of the account to be authenticated, NetrLogonGetTrustRid looks at the local SAM database to get the account and its associated RID.  There never is a call to NetrServerAuthenticate3 in this case.

I have requested that the MS-NRPC documentation (section 3.5.4.7.1), be updated to reflect this and will let you know the results of that investigation.  Does this answer your question?

Richard Guthrie
Open Protocols Support Team
Support Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM 7100 N Hwy 161, Irving, TX - 75039 "Las Colinas - LC2"
Tel: +1 469 775 7794
E-mail: rguthrie at microsoft.com
We're hiring http://members.microsoft.com/careers/search/details.aspx?JobID=A976CE32-B0B9-41E3-AF57-05A82B88383E&start=1&interval=10&SortCol=DatePosted