[cifs-protocol] RE: LSA LookupSids 3

John Dunning johndun at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 29 20:32:55 GMT 2008

Hello Andrew,
   I have reviewed the network capture and it clearly shows what you are describing. The reason that the msprc fault occurred in Frame 1695 is that there is no Authverifier information in the LSARPC:LsarLookupSids3 Request in Frame 1694. Looking at a successful LSARPC:LsarLookupSids3 Request in a different capture I see that the Authverifier field is present. This field contains the RPC_C_AUTHN_NETLOGON and the RPC_C_AUTHN_LEVEL_INTEGRITY information. I am theorizing that the Authverifier field is missing in your trace because there was not a RPC Bind exchange prior to this request.

My source code investigation indicates that if the  Authverifier field is present that the server will behave as described in MS-LSAT 3.1.4.9. When the Authverifier field is absent then it will lead to an msrpc Fault of access denied.

Is it the intention of your test to determine what would happen when a LSARPC:LsarLookupSids3 Request is made when there is no Authverifier information present?

Thanks
John