[cifs-protocol] CAR - NTCreateX options

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Aug 14 06:21:04 GMT 2008

Hi,

MS-SMB section 2.2.8 says that FILE_OPEN_BY_FILE_ID should return
STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED. We have found that win2008 returns STATUS_OK for
this bit. Can you please tell us how this bit works?

We similarly noticed that w2008 returns the NT_STATUS_OK for each of
the following bits:

 0x00010000
 0x00020000
 0x00040000
 0x00080000

all of which are not documented in the current WSPP docs. Please
clarify this behaviour, and if w2008 is not just ignoring these bits
then please document what they mean.

Please also tell us what the differences are for handling these bits
between the SMB and SMB2 protocols. We have noticed (for example) that
the w2008 SMB2 server returns STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED for bit 0x00100000
in the create options, whereas the same server using the SMB protocol
returns STATUS_OK, and the SMB2 documentation says it should return
STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER.

Cheers, Tridge