[cifs-protocol] Identifying Matching Share Subtrees

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 7 11:31:29 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 16:07 -0700, Adam Simpkins wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 05:05:44PM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Scott Goldstein wrote:
> >
> > > Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but when you say use the
> > > "GetShareInfo() rpc", are you referring to something in the CIFS
> > > protocol itself or a method on a particular CIFS client?  If it's the
> > > former, is there a open source CIFS client which exposes this portion of
> > > the protocol?
> >
> > I was referring to the NetShareGetInfo() RPC call provided on the
> > \srvsvc pipe.
> >

> Just a heads up, but I have seen some servers lie about the path in
> the NetShareGetInfo() response.  We've got a Snap Appliance server
> that seems to report all of its shares as sibling directories
> (each share shows up as "C:\shares\<share_name>"), even though some of
> them are nested.

Yeah, my snap appliance lists:

sh-2.04# mount
/dev/md100root on / type xfs (rw,noatime)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/volgr0/lvol0 on /hd/vol_mnt0 type xfs
(rw,usrquota,grpquota,quota,extperm)
/hd/vol_mnt0/backexcat/db on /var/backex/db type none (rw,bind)
/hd/vol_mnt0/backexcat/sched on /var/backex/sched type none (rw,bind)
/hd/vol_mnt0/backexcat/logs on /var/backex/logs type none (rw,bind)
/hd/vol_mnt0/shares on /shares/SHARE1 type xfs (rw,bind)

So with bind mounts in play, the path Samba (as Snap's CIFS server)
reports is going to be pretty arbitrary.  I suspect they do it this way
to make NFS and web stuff easier.

File ID numbers and inodes from the unix extensions might give you more
clues, but I'll leave that to FS experts to detail...