[ccache] Help with adding support to custom language

Joel Rosdahl joel at rosdahl.net
Thu Jan 3 20:47:47 UTC 2019

Hi Andre,

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 20:39, Andre Calfa via ccache
<ccache at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> We currently have our own compiler cache for the compiler we developed, but
> we would like to switch to ccache if possible. Our compiler takes as input
> a custom language and generates both a .cpp file and a .h file. I would
> like to know if it would be feasible for me to work on applying a patch to
> ccache so that I can use ccache for this compiler, and if so, would there
> be any documentation/example that I should follow to get this implemented?

What problems do you see with your own compiler cache that makes you consider
using ccache instead?

Does your compiler behave similar to GCC, for instance using "-c" for
compilation, "-E" for generating preprocessed output similar to that of GCC,
"-x" for selecting source language, etc? If not, my guess is that it's not
really feasible.

There is no documentation or examples for adding new compiler support to
ccache, mainly because ccache in a sense only supports one ("GCC and compilers
that behave similar enough").

-- Joel