[ccache] What is the tmp directory?

Akim Demaille akim at lrde.epita.fr
Mon May 12 01:07:25 MDT 2014

Le 11 mai 2014 à 22:17, Joel Rosdahl <joel at rosdahl.net> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> > What is this tmp directory?

Hi Joel!

> ccache's tmp directory is used to store temporary preprocessed source code. Files should normally not be left in tmp, but if ccache exits unexpectedly (if it crashes or is killed) then files may be left there. Looks like this has happened to you a lot.

In my framework, I'm generating files, and compile them and
dlopen them on the fly.  To workaround concurrency issues, I
append the pid to the generated C++ file names, and use -o
to have ccache be able to work properly (it does recognize
when it's the same content).  But that does mean that I am much
more exposed to having a bazillion of names, and therefore
a higher risk to see these files remain.  On our build farm,
one ccache directory was 160GB!!!

btw, in my case linking time is huge too, so if you know a
means to cache the linked result... :)

> > Why is it not cleaned/controled so as to fit in the allocated 1GB?
>
> No other reason than that nobody has implemented such cleanup code. :-)
>
> I'll see what I can do.

Great news, thanks!