[ccache] tmpfs + aufs use with ccache

Joel Rosdahl joel at rosdahl.net
Tue Aug 7 07:40:12 MDT 2012

On 3 August 2012 23:39, Craig A. Cox <craigcox at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using version 2.4 of ccache

Time to upgrade?

> [...] I have setup an aufs filesystem for ccache.  That way a reboot will have a completely fresh initialized ccache setup.

What do you mean with "a completely fresh initialized ccache setup"?
Is it a cache where you only have run "ccache -M 10" or so?

> [...] The possible issue that I need to ask about is files that are on the read-only filesystem that should completely disappear will not, you can only have a newer version in the tmpfs.  Will this work or will I be required to just use ccache on the tmpfs and initialize it in a startup script?

With ccache 2.4, I think you are OK. There might be problems with
ccache newer than 2.4 because then the statistics files are removed as
part of process of updating counters. Initializing in a startup script
should be OK.

-- Joel