[ccache] GPLv3 (was: Release plan)

Joel Rosdahl joel at rosdahl.net
Mon Mar 1 14:19:39 MST 2010

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 22:26:48 +0000
William S Fulton <wsf at fultondesigns.co.uk> wrote:

> How about the new release is updated with the latest GPL - version 3? Given
> you are changing the ccache version number quite considerably, this would
> also be a good opportunity to update the license version to make it
> distinguishable from prior releases.

I'm fine with upgrading to GPLv3+ (and I'm also fine with keeping GPLv2+). If I
understand these things correctly (please correct me otherwise), I could just
switch ccache (the work as a whole) to GPLv3+ since all code parts that ccache
is made from are GPLv3+ compatible.

However, if upgrading, I would also prefer to relicense the "core ccache
files", so that the blurb at the top of those files says GPLv3+ to avoid
confusion. My understanding is that I need consent from all copyright holders
(10-15 people if you count all contributors) to do this. Am I correct? If so,
it seems easier to just stick with GPLv2+.

Can anyone motivate me or correct me? :-)

-- Joel

More information about the ccache mailing list