[ccache] Release plan

William S Fulton wsf at fultondesigns.co.uk
Sun Feb 28 15:26:48 MST 2010

Joel Rosdahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I now don't have any features left on my TODO list for the next ccache
> release,
> which I plan to name 3.0. The main thing left, except more testing and
> fixing
> any bugs that are found, is some work on the documentation, and maybe some
> portability stuff.
>
> There are still some features that I would like to work on, though,
> but that I
> think should wait until after 3.0:
>
>   - Support for a configuration file in the cache directory. I will
> send a mail
>     to the list with some thoughts on this later.
>
>   - Support for choosing hash algorithm (at least MD4, MD5 and SHA-1).
>
>   - Support for optionally hashing the output of "$CC $flag" (e.g.,
> "gcc -v" or
>     "gcc -dumpspecs") to identify the compiler instead of relying on
>     mtime/size.
>
> Does this seem reasonable? And does anyone have other feature requests or
> semi-forks with features that could be incorporated in later ccache
> versions?
> Comments are welcome.
Joel, a new release is long overdue, so I'm really pleased to see this
happening - thanks. How about the new release is updated with the latest
GPL - version 3? Given you are changing the ccache version number quite
considerably, this would also be a good opportunity to update the
license version to make it distinguishable from prior releases.

I have a "semi-fork" of ccache for SWIG. See
http://swig.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/swig/trunk/CCache/. It adds
support for the SWIG compiler in addition to C/C++ compilers. The main
difference to a traditional compiler is that SWIG can generate more than
one file and ccache works equally well for it. I don't know if the
changes are suitable for incorporation into the main ccache at some
point - comments welcome. However, it would be good to port the
CCACHE_VERBOSE option from this fork to ccache - it displays all the
compiler invocations it makes and it is really useful for debugging
ccache problems as both an end user and a developer.

William