[ccache] The future of ccache

John Coiner john.coiner at amd.com
Wed Jan 6 16:27:17 MST 2010

I'll second this question. I maintain a fork of CCache 2.4 internal to
my workplace, and I'd like to know if there's going to be some active
work on ccache.

My fork has two changes.

First, it's NFS-safe. It removes the use of non-NFS-safe fcntl() file
locking and the statistics tracking features that relied on it.

Second, it supports a two level cache. Why? With a one-level cache, you
have to compromise. You can share the cache among a large number of
users to get a high hit rate, or you can use hardlinks to conserve disk
space. You cannot safely do both -- it would be too easy for a
well-meaning user to change the contents or permissions of their own
workspace, and in so doing, unwittingly modify the shared cache.
Basically, a two-level cache allows you to do both safely.

Those aren't for everyone. The NFS fix is interesting for people stuck
with NFS. The two level cache is interesting for cube farmers stuck with
any filesystem that doesn't support deduplication. (If you have
deduplication, you can set up an ordinary one-level shared cache,
disable hardlinks, and you will have a simple, safe and high performance
setup that is efficient with disk space.)

So maybe this is best kept as a fork. Anyway it seemed like a good time
to take a straw poll to see if anyone was interested in those. Anyone?

Cheers,

John