[ccache] ccache doesn't compile binutils

Edward S. Peschko esp5 at pge.com
Wed Apr 14 19:14:40 GMT 2004

From: "Edward S. Peschko" <esp5 at pge.com>
To: Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org>
Bcc:
Subject: Re: [ccache] ccache doesn't compile binutils

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 02:10:35PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2004, "Edward S. Peschko" <esp5 at pge.com> wrote:
>
> > no, I'm definitely using gcc and the associated binutils. Compiling the first time
> > works, compiling the second breaks with the above error.
> >
> > I'm just curious if this bug is reproducible on other linuxes... I'd really like
> > to use ccache, but it has to work correctly, cross-platform (on very
> > very large projects)
>
> I thought you said you were using Solaris?

well, of course, but I also use linux, windows (via cygwin), AIX and UWIN (on OS/390 no
less)

> > (
> > ps - has anyone made a large integration test with ccache, ie: integrated it into
> > the gentoo builds, etc? If you could compile an entire gentoo build using ccache, I'd
> > be more comfortable with it.
> > )
>
> Yes, this has been done.  You can build all of Gentoo using ccache,
> except for the parts with broken makefiles, where it is specifically
> disabled.

What's wrong with the makefiles? I thought that cache was transparent if you made
a link to gcc/etc.

Anyways, I double checked, and I'm indeed using gnu's ld, etc. Does anyone have
a solaris install to confirm? Or how would I go about tracking this down?

Ed