[Samba] Linux Mint 21.3 client AD joined OK but no usb working

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Mar 22 18:00:19 UTC 2024

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:29:24 -0300
"Douglas G. Oechsler" <doguibnu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rowland!
>
> This is my Samba AD-DC testparm. Operating System: Rocky Linux 8.9
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> dns forwarder = 10.1.1.30
> ldap server require strong auth = No
> passdb backend = samba_dsdb
> realm = DOMAIN.PR
> server role = active directory domain controller
> workgroup = DOMAIN
> rpc_server:tcpip = no
> rpc_daemon:spoolssd = embedded
> rpc_server:spoolss = embedded
> rpc_server:winreg = embedded
> rpc_server:ntsvcs = embedded
> rpc_server:eventlog = embedded
> rpc_server:srvsvc = embedded
> rpc_server:svcctl = embedded
> rpc_server:default = external
> winbindd:use external pipes = true
> idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
> idmap config * : backend = tdb
> map archive = No
> vfs objects = dfs_samba4 acl_xattr
>
> [sysvol]
> path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
> read only = No
>
> [netlogon]
> path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/prude.pr/scripts
> read only = No
>
> Samba version:
> smbd -V
> Version 4.18.0

Ah that explains it, you are running a self compiled Samba.

> ----------------------------------
>
> At Linux Mint 21.3 side:
> smbd -V
> Version 4.15.13-Ubuntu
>
> So, the link below shows the screen after Linux Mint 21.3 inside
> samba AD, with 3 pen drives connected. When Linux mint is not inside
> AD, all devices can be read and can access normally without errors
> about NTFS or something about.
>
> But, after inside of the AD, we get this screens:
>
> https://imgbb.host/vNoae
> https://imgbb.host/vNPbQ

I think the one that ends in 'NTFS' may be relevant, are the USB drives
formatted with the NTFS filesystem ?

NTFS isn't a Linux filesystem and isn't required to work with Samba, in
fact Samba would prefer something like ext4 (which Windows will never
see, it just sees the data stream). I would image that your Linux
machines are mounting the USB drives root:root and nothing can read or
write to them, you cannot change this (if they are using NTFS) because
there are no Linux tools that can set/change the NTFS permissions.

Rowland