[Samba] When accessing the User Properties only SIDs are shown instead of real name

Anantha Raghava raghav at exzatech.net
Thu Mar 21 16:40:20 UTC 2024

Hello Rowland

Samba is running on RHEL 8.9 (subscribed edition)

Domain is ktkbankltd.com and the work group is ktkbankltd. This is the
AD domain, not reachable from internet.

We have 5 servers named pdc.ktkbankltd.com, dc1.ktkbankltd.com,
dc2.ktkbankltd.com, dc3.ktkbankltd.com and dc4.ktkbankltd.com The name
PDC is just the name, unlike NT4 domain. These servers were initially
installed during 2016 and we started with Samba-AD 4.8, we are upgrading
the versions over a period and currently we are using 4.18.1.

WORKGROUP entered twice - Thanks for notifying.

Pattern for non-mapped SIDs - There is no specific pattern. It may be
user, or a group or a computer object. Interesting thing is, in most of
the members it appears properly, However, we cannot say which member we
face this problem. It appears randomly. Another important point to note
- From the member which has this problem, when we try to access the
shares using <ip-address>/share, it fails to open. However, when we
access the same share using <hostname>/share, it works fine.

I confirm that we have not deleted any user or group or computer object
from AD which may result in this particular problem. To think that this
could be a DNS issue, it randomly appears in different clients and not all.

Any other pointer to get to the root here?

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava H A

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail communication and any attachments may be privileged and
confidential to Exza Technology Consulting & Services, Bangalore, and
are intended only for the use of the recipients named above If you are
not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of
it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all
copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely,
secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for
any errors or omissions.