[Samba] When accessing the User Properties only SIDs are shown instead of real name

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 21 16:22:12 UTC 2024

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:07:52 +0530
Anantha Raghava via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have Windows 10, 11, Server 2012R2, 2016, 2019 and 2022 as members
> in our network. The issue happens randomly on different machines and
> different Windows OS. Find the smb.conf below.
>
> # Global parameters [global] netbios name = PDC realm = XXXXXLTD.COM
> server role = active directory domain controller workgroup =
> KTKBANKLTD server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
> drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dns, dnsupdate workgroup = XXXXLTD
> idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes ldap server require strong auth = No
> allow dns updates = nonsecure tls priority =
> NORMAL:-VERS-TLS-ALL:+VERS-TLS1.2 log level = 1 auth_audit:0
> auth_json_audit:3 dsdb_json_audit:5 log file = /var/log/samba/pdc.log
> max log size = 1000000000 [sysvol] path =
> /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol read only = No [netlogon] path =
> /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/ktkbankltd.com/scripts read only =
> No Let me know if you need additional information.
>
> Thanks & Regards,

When I said 'What OS', I meant the OS that you are running the AD DC
on, not the clients.

If your DC is really called 'PDC' then can I point out it isn't a PDC,
that is something else entirely.

If you are going to sanitise a smb.conf, then I suggest you sanitise
everything.

Is your dns domain really just 'ktkbankltd.com' ?
If it is, is that dns domain reachable from the internet ?

Is there any pattern to the non mapped SIDs ?

Can I also point out that you appear to have 'workgroup' twice.

Rowland