[Samba] Samba acting as a domain member + netbios

Vincent DROUIN vdrouin at chapsvision.com
Thu Jan 25 15:48:39 UTC 2024

Hello,

I'm trying to use to use a Samba share service with authentication delegated to a Windows Active Directory Server.

I manage to join successfully to the AD using net ads join command, with or without Kerberos, using either "security = domain" or "security = ads".
Nevertheless, if I use "disable netbios" option, winbindd immediately fails to use "name_status_find", the domain is then added to the negative connection cache and the whole thing stops working.

The winbind ping is also failing if netbios is disabled.

Am I missing some configuration parameter that would prevent such a behavior?
NetBios is an unsecure deprecated protocol : why is it mandatory to have it to verify communication with the domain?

Cheers
Vincent