[Samba] chmod of smbpasswd file

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jan 10 17:50:41 UTC 2024

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 05:41:01PM +0300, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:

>That's exactly the reason to have configs on a read-only file system - to
>ensure they're not modified when should not.  Samba is *not* modifying them
>de facto (this file has always been 0600), it is just wrong code and entirely
>wrong thing to do to begin with, - to change permissions of *config files*.
>Absolutely wrong.

Give me a break Michael :-). That OLD code (from me I'm sure :-) pre-dates 2004
(when it was last reformatted). smbpasswd files were being protected
from mistakes by admins (yes I was trying to save people from themselves,
this is what you get for trying to do people a favour :-).

It's an easy fix to remove it. Just raise a bug, submit a merge and I'll get it
reviewed and pushed.

Probably best thing to do is change this to do an fstat and
log a warning message if 'rw' is set for anything other than
owner.