[Samba] Samba 4.20rc3 does not build on macOS

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Feb 29 03:13:57 UTC 2024

On Thu, 2024-02-29 at 03:41 +0100, Thomas Tempelmann via samba wrote:
> Hi, I am new here.
> I just tried to build it Samba 4.20rc3 because I would like to use
> the "wspsearch" on macOS. (I also built it first on Debian 12.5,
> which worked fine.)
> However, ./configure aborts:
> > Checking for
> > getrandom
> >   : not found Checking for program 'pkg-
> > config'                                                 : not found
> > Checking for GnuTLS >=
> > 3.7.2                                                      : not
> > found The configuration failed(complete log in
> > /Volumes/Data/Downloads/samba-4.20.0rc3/bin/config.log)
>
> I suspect that's a known issue (I guess "macOS is unsupported").
> Does anyone on the list have a solution for making it build on macOS,
> though? I only need the wspsearch tool, maybe just for that?

Even for just wspsearch, we need the core crypto libs as the main
client libraries are based on them.
You will just need to build GnuTLS and it's dependencies first.
That said, if you have GnuTLS, but not a recent enough version, do let
us know what you have and perhaps something can be done.
Sorry,
Andrew Bartlett--
Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions