[Samba] Cant access home folder after 4.13.x

evil cRaftKnife evilcraftknife at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 20:09:04 UTC 2024

Hi

I've been using Samba from pkgsrc successfully on Illumos, SmartOS
specifically until I moved to 4.17.11. When I try to access my home folder
on Linux I get,

chdir_current_service: vfs_ChDir(/home/fukr/kev) failed: Permission denied.
Current token: uid=10000, gid=10001, 3 groups: 10001 10000 10002

My home folder permissions are 700. If I change to 755 it works fine. My
the uid, gid are,

kev at fs /home/fukr/kev $ id kev
uid=10000(kev) gid=10001(net-users)

It seems to work if the permissions are set to 705 also.

All other shares seem to work fine. I also moved on to a newer
release(4.19.3) with even more weirdness. The other shares I have
configured only show folders with no files in them.

I presume that I am missing something in my smb.conf I just don't know
where to look. Can anybody send me a pointer please?

There was nothing special about my smb.conf,

# Global parameters
[global]
        dedicated keytab file = /opt/local/etc/samba/samba.keytab
        dns proxy = No
        kerberos method = dedicated keytab
        log file = /var/log/log.%m
        max log size = 50