[Samba] bsd printing and samba 4.17

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Wed Feb 7 15:06:41 UTC 2024

On 07.02.2024 15:17, Piviul via samba wrote:
> On 2/7/24 12:12, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>> To be honest, I am unsure if spoolss is running permanently now, but
>> it sounds like it is and if it is, I do not know if you can turn it
>> off. Perhaps setting 'rpcd_spoolss:num_workers = 0' in global ?
>
> nothing to do, with this option printing doesn't work at all.. :(
>
> so bsd printing doesn't seems to work anymore. In your opinion it's
> better to migrate to cups-pdf or  try to debug the problem? In order
> to think to migrate to cups-pdf, do you know if the script in
> PostProcessing option in cups-pdf.conf can for example rename the pdf
> output or send it via mail and remove from the cups-pdf folder or move
> it to a network drive or... do what the bsd printing was doing?
>
> Piviul
Hi Piviul,

I use the fantastically simple utility inoticoming for processing files
hitting a directory during more than 10 years. I use it like this:

inoticoming <watched dir> --suffix pdf sh <script for processing> {} \;
1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null

In my case i use it for "remote" copying. The scanned file is stored in
the <watched dir> and sent to a remote printer through the <script for
processing> Note, the --suffix is case sensitive.

inoticoming is available in Debian Bookworm.

HTH

Peter