[Samba] new DC preparation, nslookup and dig errors

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 09:08:29 UTC 2023

> Whilst anything is possible, if you are trying to connect to the
> internal dns server on a machine that isn't yet a DC, then it will time
> out, because there isn't a dns server there yet.
>
> Of course. I may be misunderstanding things here.

Maybe :)

I am preparing to join a third Linux DC to an existing domain running two Linux DCs, and am following these instructions ...

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Linux_and_Unix_DNS_Configuration#Resolving_SRV_Records

... so am concerned that there is a "communications error":-

"_ldap._tcp.mydomain.com;; communications error to 130.130.0.219#53: timed out"

... which is DC5 trying to get a DNS record from DC4 and failing.

If I run the same 'test' from that wiki page on either of the existing 2 Linux DCs which _are_ dns servers for the whole network, it does not show that error.

Do you follow me?

In other words, I want to sort that error out first before I go trying to join a new DC (which I am only doing to solve the recent security patch!)

I have tried Googling it but come up blank.

Regards,

--

Paul Littlefield