[Samba] Renaming a domain

Adnan RIHAN axel50397 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 20:46:08 UTC 2023

Le 24/09/2023 à 22:34, Rowland Penny via samba a écrit :
> Yes it is pretty straightforward and it straightforwardly says at the
> top (in a warning box) 'Although Samba has a domain rename tool, it
> currently does not support renaming a production domain for long-term
> use.'

I get it.

Can you explain me the part where it can be used to run an alternate temporary domain at the same time to troubleshoot the production one please? Does it work by joining the alternate domain's DC to the main DC? How to use the alternate domain while troubleshooting the main one, as users are joined to a specific domain.

The little I know about AD, I learnt it with Samba, so I'm pretty new to the concept.

I'm asking that to see if I may use the same technique with a fresh DC and a fresh domain, both joined together and migrating users between each other maybe? Along with the GPOs (GPOs are easy to recreate, but the users are a pain to recreate with their custom attributes).
--
Regards, Adnan RIHAN

GPG: D433-5C63 (https://keybase.io/max13/key.asc)
⇒ If you are not using GPG/PGP but want to send me an encrypted e-mail: https://encrypt.to/0xD4335C63.