[Samba] Renaming a domain

Adnan RIHAN axel50397 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 20:11:56 UTC 2023

Hi there,

I'm on Samba (on a testing environment) since 2 months and it's quite good so far. I've connected few services to the DC (our printer system, NAS, etc…) and it's ready to be in production with all the GPOs I created.

But... I made a mistake with the domain name. I used a subdomain (tech.example.com) I thought I wouldn't need outside of the company and other services are using this subdomain and it's sub subdomains (nas1.tech.example.com, vpn1.tech…)… Samba DNS is accessible from outside the network, and as it's not a great idea, I decided I need to rename the domain (to ad.example.com).

First of all I read this article: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Domain_rename_tool, which is pretty straightforward but I'm stuck at few details:

1- I want to rename the domain, not the netbios name (currently EXAMPLECOM), and samba doesn't allow using the same netbios. Is it a safe to rename it twice? First I rename to ad1.example.com/EXAMPLE1, restore it to a standalone VM, then rename it again to the final domain name/netbios I would like: ad.example.com/EXAMPLECOM . THEN restore again in VM and join it to old DC and finally demote old DC ?

2- If I understand correctly the doc, I won't have any issues with my userPrincipalName, as they all use additional @domain names and not the DC domain. Right ?

3- To handle GPOs, I need to export all of them from old domain, and reimport all of them to new domain. Do I need to change anything inside them? I'm using shares on nas1.tech.example.com and they will still be used as they are. Right ?

Anything else to pay attention to ?

Thanks for your guidance.
--
Regards, Adnan RIHAN