[Samba] Remote Desktop group not working

Philip Offermans P.T.Offermans at tilburguniversity.edu
Sun Sep 24 14:28:36 UTC 2023

Dear readers,

I am trying to give domain users access to use remote desktop. First, I made a gpo that enables remote desktop on all my machines. Then I added the users I wanted to give access to use rdp to the buildin remote desktop group. Unfortunately, that did not work.
Then I found this https://linux.samba.narkive.com/WptAu1eY/samba-remote-desktop-users-group-not-working, and followed the advice of Louis. This also did not work.
Then I started to work on other things, and to test something I added a domain user to the domain admin group. I could login via rdp with this user, when I afterwards deleted the user from the domain admin group, rdp kept working for this user.
I have a feeling that it has something to do with local and domain groups. But I can’t figure out why it is not working.
One solution could be to add users to the domain admin group, login, and then remove them from the group. But that doesn’t feel like a proper solution.
Is there somebody that knows how to fix this? If I should give more information please tell me and I am happy to provide it 😊.

Kind regards,
Philip Offermans