[Samba] Connecting Windows 11 Pro as domain member

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 19 08:49:12 UTC 2023

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:18:23 -0400
Rob Campbell via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> What am I missing if I don't join my Windows 11 to my Samba AD DC if
> that is a thing?

Anything and everything connected to being a domain member.

> Should I just create login scripts and map the resources or do I miss
> out on something other than authentication?

You are only going to get local authentication, even if you have a user
called 'rob' on the non domain joined computer and a user called 'rob'
in the domain, those users will be different users.

> If the accounts on the Windows 11 Pro computer are already using
> Microsoft accounts, is there a way to map the MS account to the samba
> account?

You can do this on a Unix domain member by using the nss idmap backend ,
but I am unaware of any way to do this on Windows.

Basically, you are describing using your Win11 computer pretty much as
a Samba standalone server and, sorry, I cannot recommend using one
of those in a domain, it usually ends in tears.

Rowland