[Samba] ubuntu same samba 4.18.6 an two DCs but different samba services

Frank frank at si.ct.upc.edu
Mon Sep 18 08:00:03 UTC 2023

> Assumpte:
> Re: [Samba] ubuntu same samba 4.18.6 an two DCs but different samba
> services
> De:
> Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org>
> Data:
> 15/9/23 10:55
>
> A:
> samba at lists.samba.org
>

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:59:28 +0200
> Frank via samba<samba at lists.samba.org>  wrote:
>
>> Francesc Bassas Serramià
>> Serveis Informàtics Campus Terrassa
>> C/ Colom 2
>> 08222 Terrassa (Barcelona)
>> Telèfon : 93.73.98630
>> https://serveis.terrassa.upc.edu/sict
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> we have samba 4.18.6 with AD and using two ubuntu 22.04 servers as
>> DC's Our repositories are
>> https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/linux-schools/samba-latest/ubuntu/
>>
>> Usually, as they are DCs, the only samba service running was just
>> "samba-ad-dc.service"
>>
>> But, perhaps due to an update, we realized that in one of them the
>> samba service running now is "samba4.service" and
>> "samba-ad-dc.service" is masked.
Hi Rowland, thanks for your answer.
> Could this be that (rather stupidly) they have renamed
> 'samba-ad-dc.service' to 'samba4.service' ?
I don't think so because in "/etc/ini.d" both scripts (samba4 and
samba-ad-dc) exist and are different. The difference is "samba4" does
the check of server role and start corresponding daemons in each case
(samba if it is a DC, or smbd-nmbd-winbind if it is a member) and the
original samba member service daemons are masked as well.
> If you run 'ps ax' in a terminal on the DCs, do you see the samba, smbd
> and winbind daemons running ?
They are. All of them are running as expected.

> Personally, I wouldn't run the linux schools distro, I investigated it
> and found that it did (rather extensively) what Samba doesn't
> recommend, it uses the DCs as fileservers (and just about everything
> else, including the kitchen sink). There is also the problem that their
> GUI isn't multi DC aware, you really should only use one DC for
> administration.
>
> Rowland
We chose "linux schools distro" only for samba. We chose it because it
has the latest distribution.

Is there another better distro with latest samba for ubuntu 22.04?

--
Aquest missatge ha estat escanejat per trobar-hi virus i
contingut perillós per MailScanner i es