[Samba] Question about case sensitive setting

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Fri Sep 15 09:24:04 UTC 2023

On 9/15/23 09:47, Andrea Cucciarre via samba wrote:
> in the following wiki link:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Performance_Tuning
>
> it states that if I set the following in smb.conf
>
> case sensitive = true
> default case = lower
> preserve case = no
> short preserve case = no
>

> then " Files using uppercase or both uppercase and lowercase are no longer
> listed on the share."

I guess is not just not 100% accurate wording for the problems that can
arise from mixed case with this setting.

While you will be able to list them, you will *badly* confuse the
Windows client and you won't be able to consistently access both files.

Hth!
-slow

--
Meet us at Storage Developer Conference (SDC)
On 18th to 21st September 2023 in Fremont, CA

Meet us at the conference storage2day 2023!
26th & 27th September, in Frankfurt am Main
Event on Storage Networks & Data Management
Find more info at https://samba.plus/events

Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                      https://samba.org/
SerNet Samba Team Lead                     https://sernet.de/en/
SAMBA+ Samba packages                        https://samba.plus/