[Samba] Crash on stat() fail with fsp_flags.fstat_before_close

Ratna Bolla (rbolla) Ratna.Bolla at quest.com
Wed Oct 4 13:15:53 UTC 2023

This with version 4.17.5.  OS is redhat 9.2.

We have not tried the latest, but fd_close() function has not changed, and is still skipping fsp_set_fd(fsp, -1); on stat() call error.

Thanks.

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 11:43:13 +0000
"Ratna Bolla \(rbolla\) via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> fd_close() does not reset fsp->fd to -1, if vfs_stat_fsp() call fails
> for any reason. This leads to crash when fd_handle_destructor() is
> called.
>
> INTERNAL ERROR: assert failed: (fh->fd == -1) || (fh->fd == AT_FDCWD)
> in pid 3930585

What version of Samba is this ?
On what OS ?

If it isn't a very recent version of Samba, have you tried upgrading Samba, just in case it has already been fixed.

Rowland