[Samba] Provisioning new AD Domain Controller

bd730c5053df9efb bd730c5053df9efb at proton.me
Thu Nov 30 20:02:49 UTC 2023

I stand corrected, PTR records don't point to IP addresses, the point to fqdn names, My previous statement was a mix up, sorry.

The reverse zone names have a tld in the .arpa domain and are named with that special naming convention, a reverse lookup zone is named including the "subdomain" to which the ip belongs so that the ip address 192.168.123.2/24 is named 2.123.168.192.in-addr.arpa and belongs to the zone 123.168.192.in-addr.arpa and the ip address 192.168.123.2/16 belongs to the zone 168.192.in-addr.arpa as Rowland indicated in his mail.

Your first command works correctly becasue you're trying to resolve a single IP address that resolves in a reverse DNS zone, the second one doesnt because you're querying a whole zone for it's PTR record and it doesn't have one.

Best regards,
Dave.

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.