[Samba] Unable to write to share having same name as directory?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Nov 10 16:29:49 UTC 2023

On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 10:51:58 -0500
John Klimek via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Sorry about the CC!  I'll refrain from it in the future.
>
> testparm -s looks OK I think?
>
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Loaded services file OK.
> Weak crypto is allowed by GnuTLS (e.g. NTLM as a compatibility
> fallback)
>
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> fruit:copyfile = yes
> fruit:delete_empty_adfiles = yes
> fruit:wipe_intentionally_left_blank_rfork = yes
> fruit:nfs_aces = no
> fruit:veto_appledouble = no
> fruit:metadata = stream
> idmap config * : backend = tdb
> vfs objects = fruit catia streams_xattr
>

> [console]
> path = /storage/console
> read only = No

The problem is, it works for myself:

I added this to /etc/samba/smb.conf:

[console]
	path = /storage/console
	read only = No

Created the required directories:
sudo mkdir -p /storage/console
sudo chmod 0777 /storage/console
Restarted winbind and smbd

Checked with smbclient:

smbclient -NL localhost
Anonymous login successful

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	homes           Disk      Home Directories
	......          ....
	console         Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Client devstation 0.0.0.0)
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

So you can see the share is there.

Connect from another machine:

adminuser at rpidc1:~ $ smbclient //devstation/console -Urowland
Password for [SAMDOM\rowland]:
Try "help" to get a list of possible commands.
smb: \> pwd
Current directory is \\devstation\console\
smb: \>

The differences between my setup and yours are:

I am doing this on a Unix domain member, your is a standalone server.
Not that it should matter.

I do not have a Mac, so I don't have the Mac parameters set, which
leads me to wonder if 'console' could be a reserved word on a Mac.
Could you try with another share, where the share name matches the
share directory ?

Rowland