[Samba] Samba4 Windows Client Time Sync Issue

Marco Shmerykowsky PE marco at sce-engineers.com
Tue Jun 27 18:46:02 UTC 2023

scratch that.  Logged into a "non-working" client and even though
the logon server is listed as the primary DC, the clock source
is still listing "Local CMOS Clock"

The two DC's are configured the same.  One is the primary and
one is the backup.

Results of w32tm /monitor (results similar on both working
and non-working clients):

Getting AD DC list for default domain...

Analyzing: -- -- (0 of 2)
xxxx.xxxx.sce-engineers.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:123]:
     ICMP: 1ms delay
     NTP: -0.0009824s offset from xxxx.xxxx.sce-engineers.com
         RefID: (unknown) [0xFE00A8C0]
         Stratum: 4
xxxx.xxxx.sce-engineers.com *** PDC ***[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:123]:
     ICMP: 1ms delay
     NTP: +0.0000000s offset from xxxx.xxxx.sce-engineers.com
         RefID: (unknown) [0xFE00A8C0]
         Stratum: 4

Warning:
Reverse name resolution is best effort. It may not be
correct since RefID field in time packets differs across
NTP implementations and may not be using IP addresses.

Results of w32tm /query /status on Working Client:

Leap Indicator: 0(no warning)
Stratum: 4 (secondary reference - syncd by (S)NTP)
Precision: -23 (119.209ns per tick)
Root Delay: 0.1429251s
Root Dispersion: 1.9549461s
ReferenceId: 0xC0A800FE (source IP:  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
Last Successful Sync Time: 6/27/2023 1:16:43 PM
Source: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,0x9
Poll Interval: 10 (1024s)

Phase Offset: 0.0000159s
ClockRate: 0.0156249s
State Machine: 2 (Sync)
Time Source Flags: 0 (None)
Server Role: 0 (None)
Last Sync Error: 2 (The computer did not resync because only stale time
data was available.)
Time since Last Good Sync Time: 3080.4862280s

Results of w32tm /query /status on Working Client:

Leap Indicator: 3(not synchronized)
Stratum: 0 (unspecified)
Precision: -23 (119.209ns per tick)
Root Delay: 0.0000000s
Root Dispersion: 0.0000000s
ReferenceId: 0x00000000 (unspecified)
Last Successful Sync Time: unspecified
Source: Local CMOS Clock
Poll Interval: 10 (1024s)

Phase Offset: 0.0000000s
ClockRate: 0.0156250s
State Machine: 0 (Unset)
Time Source Flags: 0 (None)
Server Role: 0 (None)
Last Sync Error: 1 (The computer did not resync because no time data was
available.)
Time since Last Good Sync Time: 2847.4972876s