[Samba] Internal DNS issue

Andrey Repin arepin at hostkey.com
Wed Jun 21 15:29:56 UTC 2023

Hello Simone Natoli,

> Hello,

> we are a company of 25 people and we use Samba AD for User, Pc and Server Management.

> We have a replica 2 of Samba AD Version 4.15.13-Ubuntu on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish).

> All works fine but we have some problem with DNS resolution, i explain:

> If
>  we use a vpn on one of our PCs, and that vpn is connected to a network with
> domain test.local, we cannot resolve the test.local addresses because

That's because ".local" is an unfortunate choice for TLD, as it is used in
networks without central server.
Many systems will look in mDNS over DNS for .local hosts, and complain if
nothing found.

> the internal DNS of our Samba AD return that he has no record and kill the
> connection (not allowing to search in the other interface). If we change
> the metric of the interfaces (WiFi and VPN),
> the DNS work well (the test.local DNS allow to query our DNS server for
> our domain and we can resolve also test.local).

> What can we do for the resolution of this problem?

Use a different TLD than .local.

P.S.
Also, you could remove that "legal" appendix from public list postings, it only
irritates the readers, adding nothing of value to the message itself.

--
Best regards,
Andrey Repin